Monday, January 19, 2009

Never Eat Eggs at a Cambodian Truck Stop...

"Never eat eggs at a Cambodian truck stop"

Yes, when you say it out loud like that, it sounds like an Ahh-Duh moment...but I ask you to consider the context...

When you are tired of eating rice and fish for BREAKFAST! And you do not want to order any meat because your roommate has been in the bathroom for four days (I think we have him patched up for the most part), then yes...when presented the opportunity have some plain, fully cooked, eggs on a roll for breakfast before your 5hr drive, you TAKE THE EGGS. (as Spence and I did)

Fast forward 7 hrs, Spence is in bed doubled over in pain and I (having a more delayed reaction) is walking around a market shopping with the crew and thinking all is normal. That is up until I thought my insides were going to rip themselves out of me like that worm thing from the Alien movies.

The hotel could not have been farther away (2 blocks). At three occasions I did not think I would make it. Luckily the hotel has a bathroom in the lobby...partial relief. Then Spence was so out of it that he did not open the door as I banged on it saying "for the love of mike, I BEG OF YOU, open the door", I had to plead my case to the front desk, squirming squeamishly in place hoping for an extra key...

So the three of us spent the rest of the evening in the room...reading our newly purchased historical accounts of the horrific events of the Khmer Rough/Pol Pot era and journal writing. Tomorrow we leave early to see the sunrise over Angkor Wat, hopefully we are all in better condition...either way, our backpacks will have TP in them.

No comments: